History of Hotel Stadt Kassel

In 1605 Henricus Heldt, steward and tax collector to the Count of Schaumburg, and his wife, Engte Bredenbach, had this imposing half-timbered house built.

In 1625 the house passed into the possession of the Poppelbaum merchant family, who added on the porch in 1683.

From 1719 onwards the building was used as an inn.

In 1751 the house was bought by Friedrich Christian Feldmann. He earned his money by hiring out horse-drawn vehicles. In those days the building also served as a coaching house for the mail coach service operated by the House of Thurn and Taxis. Feldmann also opened a restaurant to cater for the guests.

Around 1795 a family called Propping from Göttingen took over the inn.

In 1881 the house passed into the hands of Heinrich Bosse, a hotelier, who gave it the name of Stadt Cassel.

In 1971 the hotel was bought by a couple called Ernst and Gisela Brand.

In 1994 Ernst Brand had a big extension built on to the hotel.

In 2011 their daughter, Kerstin, and son-in-law, Lutz Krüger-Brand, took over the running of the hotel.